Friday, July 27, 2007

Harry Potter-You didn't think I had forgotten did you?

OK...OK...OK...The best thing that's happened to me this summer is the release of the Harry Potter Movie and the 7th and final book! Yes, I am a complete and total HP fanatic and 31 year old HP geek! I really enjoyed the 5th movie: HP & the Order of the Phoenix. I have learned the hard way to never read the book right before the movie comes out because it will just make you mad that they left out SO much detail, and don't ever expect the movie to follow the book too closely. I have finally come to terms with the certain formulas they use for the movies so I go in not expecting much, that way I can stay entertained and I am not too disappointed. I have finally learned to differentiate between HP books and HP movies which has alleviated a lot of the post movie stress I usually go through.
SO for my review of Movie 5, I truly enjoyed it. With his movie, I was anxious with anticipation because it was hard for me to visualize many of the scenes described in the book. It was a pretty dark book and I was really struggling with envisioning the Department of Ministry and the different things that were described within the Ministry, so the Movie helped me prepare for the release of Book 7. There a re quite a few very important scenes that take place in the Dept. of Ministry in Book 7, so I was really able to see the images more vividly in my head. So that was the best thing about the Movie, the worst was at the end when Harry and Dumbledore have their winding up chat as they do at the end of all of the books and Movies. They always cut so many important things out of these parts, but this time they left out enormous amounts of information. I was waiting the entire movie to see how they were going to approach this part of the book and they sure messed it up-BAD!!! I enjoyed the entire movie, but was VERY let down at the end. If you have never read the book, you will really love the movie. Go see it, I encourage everyone to start reading the books, and if the movies are what finally bring you to that point, like they did for me, then go see the movies!
OK...now for the book critique. AWESOME!!!!! It took me 22 hours to get through, but I finally finished, and I am going back for more everyday. I just can't get enough of this series. I am so elated that this ended so perfectly. JK Rowling is truly a literary genius (not that I am too hard to please). I don't want to give too much away, it did get a bit slow at times, but when the action began, OMG(GOSH) I was at the edge of my seat. Because in this book you truly didn't know who was going to live or die. So every time anyone was in a tight spot, you were waiting for the end to come for them, and unfortunately, it did for several of the beloved characters, but in the end, it was magnificent. If you are reading it and you get to the point of boredom and you want to put it down and walk away, just flip to the Epilogue in the back and start reading the first page or two, it will make you want to go back and keep reading to get through those parts that are a bit slow or are too suspenseful. Just don't read the entire Epilogue, then you will know too much and it will just get in the way of all of the other stuff you’re trying to figure out as you go. Every time I thought I knew what was coming, it took a turn; there were a couple of predictable spots, but not many. SO READ, READ, READ, or do as I do, and load up you iPod, computer, and load your CD's or iPod with you in the car, you won't want to get out of the car when you reach your destination, you'll just want to keep driving around :) Have fun with it and Enjoy!
~Hollie

1 comments:

crisco said...

I totally agree with you on the movie, thing! It was fantastic, EXCEPT for the end.

But it would have been just as fantastic as the rest had I not read book five. I guess - I was even more disappointed because that was my FAVORITE book and the BEST PART!

Oh well!